Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4th, 2010

If you've noticed, the posts have slowed down a bit. I haven't had the time to update nightly which disappoints me just as much as you, trust me I know, it's killing you. I'll still post the games I was able to see, or games that interested me, but for the most part, won't cover every game anymore. I'm having major withdrawal from the Olympics. What an amazing 2 weeks of memories we were as a world able to witness.

Yesterday was the trade deadline, and we were all waiting for the big trade to happen. And it happ... didn't happen. A bunch of depth players swapped and players being reunited to their former teams. Let me break down the trades that interested me.

Matt D'Agostini (Montreal) to St. Louis for Aaron Palushaj
I love the play of D'Agostini but often wondered if he would ever amount to anything much more then what he is now. I guess Gauthier didn't want to wait to see. I don't know much about Palushaj but he was a 2nd rounder in '07 where D'Agostini was I believe a 5th rounder in 2005. Palushaj also has much better numbers in the AHL the D'Agostini. This trade is a wait and see, to decide who got the better deal, although if you look at the numbers, Montreal seems to have edge.

To Boston: Dennis Seidenberg, Matthew Bartkowski
To Flordia: Craig Weller, Byron Bitz, 2nd round pick

I would have never traded Bitz. I heard he was traded and was rattled. Then I saw who he was traded for and was further rattled. Sure, Boston picked up an average defender but I believe Bitz was too much to give up, let alone with a 2nd round draft pick. Flordia with the win here.

Eric Belanger (Washington) to Minnesota for a 2nd round draft pick
Again, Washington gave too much up for a depth player, especially since they have such incredible depth up front in the first place. I believe Belanger deserves a 4th rounder considering Scott Walker was picked up with a 7th rounder.

Dustin Boyd (Calgary) to Nashville for a 4th rounder
Love this trade! I think my favorite trade of the day. You're telling me Eric Belanger gets a 2nd rounder where Dustin Boyd gets a 4th rounder. Nashville got the deal here, Boyd will be a very solid NHL'er for many years.

And here is the "blockbuster" trade of the day, although I left the one I felt was the real one last...
Lubomir Visnovsky (Edmonton) to Anahiem for Ryan Whitney and a 6th rounder
Well, people say these to defencemen are underrated but in my humble opinion, they are both overrated. I have never thought too much of Visnovsky, or even Whitney were just slightly above average players. Nothing to really get excited about. But remember before you jump on my back, it's my humble opinion! I'd be pretty bummed out if I were Whitney by the way. Out of the 30 teams in the NHL, he was traded to the Oilers. Ouch. Unreal youthful roster... but they can't live up to it.

Woltek Wolski (Colorado) to Phoenix for Peter Muller and Kevin Porter

And Colorado gets even younger. They are taking the right step in direction. I like this trade for both teams. I mean, Woltek Wolski is a fantastic player and will be a great asset for the Coyotes. Peter Muller had seemed to hit a wall, not producing much but still is a great (I'll say it again, young) player. Colorado will be a top team with the further addition of these 2 (young) players in a couple years. Wolski wouldn't be in the picture by then, so it makes sense to trade him. Give this trade 5 out of 5 stars for both teams. Thank you for making my day, and putting a smile on my face. Phoenix and Colorado. You have done well.

All my Best; Enjoy Life
Ryan Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment