Friday, February 19, 2010

February 19th, 2010

I missed the first couple of minutes of the opening period, because I had an urge to go to the gym and when I get those, well I need to take advantage of them. Thankfully, I didn't miss much, just a penalty but with Canada's powerplay there wasn't much worry of missing a goal.

Canada over Switzerland 3-2
Canada didn't play the way they should have. Brendan Morrow tried to put some energy into the game, but it seemed like it would only work with very shot dosages. With a 2-0 lead, thanks to San Jose Sharks Dany Heatley and Patty Marleau I'm sure we were relaxed and enjoying the game. 2-1 you were getting a little antsy and then 2-2 made you squeamish. It wasn't till near the end of the third for me reality hit. I thought they would pull out the regulation win. OT solved nothing and the shootout was nerve wracking. Gord Miller nailed it, Hillier had a good idea of what Canada's shooters would pull of, and Martin Brodeur had no sweet clue. Skill clearly took over and Cole Harbour native Sidney Crosby finished it off, giving us the 3-2 win.

USA over Norway 6-1
The first period was controlled by the States men, Phil Kessel having an unreal snipe and Chris Drury also finishing off one. This gave them a nice 2-0 lead going into the 2nd. The 2nd proved to be a head spinner. Norway played just as well as them, if not better. Still though, US managed to tie the period, at 1 apiece still giving them the same 2 goal lead heading into the third. There, USA decided to show who they really were, scoring 3 goals and shutting out Norway. Ryan Malone showed off his hand eye batting a goal in. It wasn't as impressive as Crosby's last night, but hey, his went in. Then veteran, Brian Rafalski scored 2 of his own, finishing off the up and down game at 6-1. Shots were 39-11.

Slovakia over Russia 2-1
Say what?! I said the same thing when I woke up and say this. My second thought was, "Curse you, Vancouver time difference!" Man I wish I could have seen this game, but here the game doesn't start till 1 in the morning. Not worth it, haha. Jaroslav Halak in total stopped 47 shots, and superstar Alexander Ovechkin was held off the scoresheet. He only went 1 for 3 in the shootout too! Marian Hossa scored midway through the 3rd to tie the game up, assists going to Pavol Demitra and younger brother Marcel Hossa. There were 14 attempts in the shootout and Pavol Demitra played the part of Sidney Crosby, scoring the winner.

I realize I managed to mention Sidney Crosby in all 3 of the game, and I'm not going to change that. That is what you get when you are the best player in the world. The usual 3 games take place today, but I am unsure if I'll be able to see any as I'm off to a hockey tournament. Which also means there won't be anymore posts for the rest of the week.

On a note that is not related to hockey, Tiger Woods is to have a statement in around 20 minutes on CTV. It shall be interesting to see what he says. Canada also now has 7 medals, thanks to Christine Nesbitt beating Annette Gerristen by 0.02 of a second. Way to be Mrs. Nesbitt!

All my Best; Enjoy Life
Ryan Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment