Friday, February 5, 2010

February 5th, 2010 (2)


My first opinion piece, and I imagine it will be similar to every ones. Brian Burke is a smart man but oh so confusing, Don Waddell maybe not so much. So let me break down the first trade the included 7 players, the biggest name included being Dion Phaneuf.

Toronto traded: Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Ian White
Calgary traded: Dion Phaneuf, Fredik Sjostrom and Keith Aulie

This trade made me scratch my head. The Maple Leafs needed a goaltender and forward, they got a defenceman. But the name is beautiful. It would be hard to pass down an offer a deal that included the intimidating Dion. Sjostrom isn't a bad pick up either, but he really is just another average forward to put in Toronto's depth chart. Almost interchangeable with Hagman. I'd rather have Hagman but Sjostrom is also a fine player and 4 years younger. Keith Aulie has potential but I really can't see him amounting too much more than what Ian White has in his time in TO. Jamal Mayers is a player that will float around. As a GM, I sure as heck wouldn't want to spend 1.2 million on him. The real kicker to this deal was the dispatch of Stajan. The night before he was traded, Matt set up Phil Kessel on 2 goals. I'm sure if anyone had time and patience to watch the Leafs, you'd see that happen nightly. Matthew Stajan was the only centre that was somewhat into Kessel's league. I know they feel Tyler Bozak is the one to help Kessel out but it's not time yet. I hope to see him flourish but I can't see it happening this season or even the next. This trade was hard to put your head around but Brian Burke I must say, knows what he is doing.

I give Toronto the shootout win, just because of the big name they were able to land.

Toronto traded: Jason Blake, Vesa Toskala
Anaheim traded: JS Giguere

This was lopsided. Two underachievers for a goalie that is half decent but seemed to lack motivation behind Hiller. He deserves to be a starting goalie, and I am glad he will get the chance to do so in Toronto. A fresh start in a hockey crazed nation seems like a great fit for Giguere. I can see him in a Leafs uniform holding the Stanley Cup in 2 years (Ah! Yes I do have a sense of humour, clearly shown there!) I do see him being as successful as a goaltender can be in Toronto. Blake takes a little bit of depth out of the forwards, it would have made more sense to ship an unhappy D man but I'm sure Murray must have stepped in a some point. I mean, he's taking Toskola, that is a big enough favor for Mr. Burke.

A solid 3-0 win for Toronto with this trade (oh the irony, I know)

Atlanta traded: Ilya Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela
New Jersey traded: Johnny Oduya, Niclas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, 1st Round Draft Pick for 2010

This is just awful. I don't care if Kovalchuk is a rental. It is just plain bad. One of your greatest goal scorers and entertainer in the NHL for an slightly above average D, a budding player, a prospect and late 1st round draft pick? Phil Kessel who is no wheres near the player was given 2 1st rounders! Waddell I think must have been able to do better... but who knows. If I were a Thrasher, I'd be pretty dissapointed at 1 point out of the playoffs and without #17. I think the only thing they can do is look at the players they got in the trade and smile; block out the other side of it. Mr. Waddell did what he had to do I suppose.

Easy 5-1 route for the New Jersey Devils in this trade.

Hopefully I'll fill in what went on in the hockey world tonight, tommorow. The Devils won with Kovy in the line up, I know that much.

All my Best; Enjoy Life
Ryan Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment