Thursday, February 25, 2010

Februaury 25th, 2010



I was able to catch the entire US/Swiss game, the 3rd of Canada's win and even managed to stay up for a period of the Finland/Czech Republic. Switzerland showed through the entire tournament that they were a strong team. It was never luck that got them to the quarters, but just plain skill.

Canada over Russia 7-3
If you were able to figure out that I wasn't lucky enough to witness any goals in this game, well good for you. All 10 goals took place in either the 1st period or 2nd. Ryan Getzlaf opened up the scoring and Danny Boyle 10 minutes later followed that up with a powerplay goal. Canada didn't finish there, Rick Nash was able to pot one in just seconds later after the Nash goal. Ex-Sabre, Dimitri Kalinin scored for Russia making the lead a little less comfortable. Hard worker Brendan Morrow finished the scoring in the 1st with his own, assists going to Boyle and Duncan Keith. I'm loving the Morrow/Richards/Towes line by the way. Absolutely loving it. Going in the 2nd, I'm sure Canadians were feeling pretty darn good. 5-1, thanks to Corey Perry, 6-1, thanks to Shea Weber, but ah Maxim Afinogenov had to spoil the parade scoring Russia's 2nd of the night. Despite that, Canadians almost certainly were feeling amazing. Even though 7-3, I myself was still nervous. Russia has Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk, ect. 4 goals isn't all that much considering that. Canada proved to be the better team shutting down everything in the 3rd. Things got a little chippy near the end. Dan Boyle slewfooted Alex Semin, I'm sure in hope to get into a slapping fight, tehe. Dirty move but he got away with it, that's the main thing right? So up next, Roberto Luongo (LUUUU) will face Sweden... I mean, what?!?! Slovakia?!

Slovakia vs. Sweden 4-3
No sir, I did not have the superpowers to stay up and watch a game that starts at like 1AM, disappointingly enough eh? I was pretty surprised at this. Sweden was a favorite coming in. Then again, Slovakia beat Russia. Slovakia came out gunning, scoring the first 2 goals of the game... after more than 20 minutes played. The first from superstar Marian Gaborik and the second from Andrej Sekera. Sweden made the game closer because Henrik Zetterberg put one in, the assist coming from Tobias Enstrom. To make people confused and worry the Swedes, Pavol Demitra scored giving his team a 2 goal lead going into the 3rd. Sweden must have came out hoping to close in. Thomas Kopecky ruined that plan. From there the game was for the most part, out of reach. Daniel Alfredsson did score at 9:39 but clearly it wasn't enough.

USA vs. Switzerland 2-0
Despite my duel citizenship, I wanted the Swiss to win. Just because it would be funny to watch the Americans lose, they would be embarrassed. The big reason though would be to laugh at my American friend. I guess I'll get the chance to do that in a couple days... hopefully. Zach Parise played a strong game, as did Chris Drury. All skeptics better have changed their mind about this heart and hustle guy. Jonas Hiller played unreal, the MVP of the game without a doubt. Other than his bat-in goal at the end of the 1st, he played incredible. That was an interesting play. Everyone who saw that, you're shaking your head in agreement right now. Switzerland was saved by the bell... er I mean buzzer. 0.1 is far to close for comfort. One of the wildest plays I've had to watch. Switzerland had me and their entire nation clinging onto hope. It wasn't until Parise put in the empty netter that hope was lost. USA deserved the win without a doubt, but it still would have been a sight to see them lose!

Finland over Czech Republic 2-0
I was kind of bored watching the first period. Perhaps because I was tired? Or maybe because there was no goal scoring going on. Good thing I didn't stay up and watch the 2nd, because I wouldn't have been able to see the puck go over the line between the posts during those 20 minutes later. It wasn't until the 3rd that the scoreless tie was broke. Niklas Hagman was the clutch dude, scoring a PP goal. 6'0'' 193 pounder Valtteri Filppula scored the empty net goal to wash away the hope or the Czechs. Hopefully this was not the last time we had to see Jaromir Jagr on North American ice. Gosh, I'd love to see him suit up in a Pens uni, and grow an even better mullet than he has now. That would be simply beautiful.

The woman are only a few short minutes from battling the United States of America for gold. Let's all hope to see yet another gold medal to our count. Wonderful Wednesday was well, wonderful. It was great to see all those medals from the women, I felt really bad for the short track team from Korea though. I would have rather just to lose than get DQ'ed like that. I'm really hoping to see Joannie Rochette pull it off. She deserves it.

All my Best; Enjoy Life
Ryan Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment